Non Dependents


Find out the current non dependant deductions.

Who are non-dependants?

Non-dependants are adults who normally share your accommodation with you but are not dependent on you for financial support.

Examples of non-dependants could be:

  •  Grown up children who still live with you
  •  Other adult relatives who live with you
  •  Adult friends who live with you.

People not treated as non-dependants because they are not counted as part of your household include:

  • Carers employed by a charity that charges for the service
  • Joint tenants
  • Sub-tenants, or tenants of people who own their house
  • Boarders
  • Landlords’ or landladies and their families.

Why are non-dependants important in housing benefit and council tax support?

The law says that we must take a set amount off your Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support for each non-dependant who lives with you. There are six different amounts depending on the income of the non-dependant.

Non-dependants are expected to pay towards the household costs, and some of what they pay will be for the rent or council tax. A deduction is made from your housing benefit or council tax support because of this, even if the non-dependant doesn’t pay you.

When are non-dependants deductions not made?

Non-dependant deductions are not made where:

  • You or your partner are registered blind or treated as blind
  • You or your partner are getting the care component of Disability Living Allowance or Attendance Allowance for you or your partner
  • The non-dependant is under 18
  • The non-dependant’s normal home is somewhere else
  • The non-dependant is a full-time student. For housing benefit, but not council tax benefit, deductions may be made during the summer vacation
  • The non-dependant is a prisoner
  • The non-dependant has been a patient in hospital for 52 weeks or more
  •  In council tax support the non-dependant is on Income Support or Income Based Jobseeker’s Allowance
  •  In housing benefit the non-dependant is under 25 and on Income Support or Income Based Jobseeker’s Allowance.

If you wish to view the non dependant deductions please see below (in related documents).

Evidence Required for Claim

People From Abroad


Absence from Home

Bedroom Reduction

Local Housing Allowance Rates

Disputes & Appeals

Related Documents