Paying Your Council Tax


The council will send you a council tax bill at the beginning of each financial year (usually mid March) to notify you of the amount you need to pay on a monthly basis.

Payments are due on the first of each month over the first 10 months starting 1st April. You will therefore normally pay between April and the following January each year.

You can pay your council tax as follows:

  • Direct Debit: Direct debit is simple, convenient and a secure way to pay.  We offer a choice of dates throughout the month. Set up your Direct Debit by completing our Direct Debit form and return to us by email or post.  Alternatively, if you are the bank account holder, call us on 01205 314202 – make sure you have your Council Tax account reference to hand.
  • Online Payments: By debit card online – please use this link to take you to the online payment page
  • Internet Banking: By internet banking, Standing Order or Bank Giro Credit. To do this, you will need to quote our sort code: 40-12-30 and bank account number: 41644750. The reference you need when setting this up is your Council Tax account number, (this is the number in the top right of your bill and starts with a ‘2’) – this will make sure your payment credits your Council Tax Account. Please do not add any extra characters or digits as this may prevent us from allocating your payment correctly.
  • Post: You can send a cheque payable to Boston Borough Council quoting your account reference number on the back to; Boston Borough Council, Municipal Buildings, West Street, Boston, Lincs, PE21 8QR.
  • Barcode: You can pay using the barcode on the top of your council tax bill or arrangement letter at any retail outlets displaying the ‘PayPoint’ sign in the Boston area or any UK Post Office. To find your local Payzone shop please visit

When you must pay

Payment of council tax is due in statutory instalments and must be paid on or before the due date. You will receive a letter each year detailing the amounts you must pay and the dates they are due. Options are available which allow you to pay by weekly, fortnightly or 4 weekly instalments. Also you can choose to pay over 12 months instead of the statutory 10. Please contact us for further information.

What to do if you think your bill is wrong

If you wish to query your council tax bill or ask for advice about your council tax charge, please contact our Revenues and Benefits staff.

There are appeal rights if you consider you are not liable to pay council tax. For example:

  • Because you are not the resident or owner
  • The property should be exempt
  • You think a mistake has been made in calculating your bill.

If you are unhappy with the way you have been charged or do not feel you have received a satisfactory answer to a previous enquiry, you should write to us with all the relevant details, so we have the opportunity to reconsider the case. You will receive a written response, giving you the decision made and the reasons for that decision. If you are still unhappy, you can ask for your case to be referred to the council tax ombudsman.


If you leave the area to move elsewhere during the financial year, we will close your council tax account with us on the day you move. As council tax is a daily charge this action could result in a credit balance on your account.

If we hold bank details for you any monies due to you will be returned by BACS, if not then a cheque will be issued usually within 10 days of your account being closed. You should contact us to provide accurate details of your move and a forwarding address.

Problems paying Council Tax

To give us the best chance of helping you, contact us as soon as you think you are going to have a problem paying your bill.

Before you contact us, please ensure you:

  • Check if you qualify for a discount, exemption or Council Tax Support
  • Review your finances – check your incoming money and outgoing payments
  • Consider how we can help you resolve the problem – we offer weekly, fortnightly, monthly and four weekly payment options

There are a number of ways you can pay your Council Tax – these are shown above.

If we do not know you are having problems, we will continue with enforcement action and you could end up having to pay a lot more. To discuss a payment arrangement, call us on 01205 314353.  

Independent Money and Debt Advice

While we are doing all we can to help our residents, we recognise there may be other debts that you also need help and advice with.  If you are worried about debts or have missed payments, there is free and independent debt advice available.

  • Citizens Advice gives free, impartial advice helping to resolve legal, money and other problems
  • Step Change offer free, confidential, regulated debt advice 
  • MoneyHelper offer free, regulated money advice and can help explain what you need to do and how you can do it. 
    Free, confidential, regulated debt advice is available via self-referral

If you are struggling financially, emotionally or you need practical advice and help, visit Cost of Living Support
To find out what financial help is available and what you are entitled to, information is available on Help with the Cost of Living

Register for Council Tax

Council Tax Support

Can I reduce my Council Tax?

Moving / Changes to Household

Enforcement Rules

Your Latest Council Tax Booklet

Your Council Tax Bill Explained