If you are aggrieved by the decision of your application or any of the conditions attached to an approval, you may pursue an appeal to the Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government

If you wish to appeal the easiest way of submitting an appeal is online at, however if you wish to apply by post the address is: The Planning Inspectorate, Room 4a Temple Quay House, 2 The Square, Temple Quay, Bristol, BS1 6PN

The Planning Inspectorate customer support team: 0303 444 5000


The timescale for appealing against a refusal, condition attached to an approval or failure to determine an application within the statutory time limit varies between applications.  For the most common applications – householder, minor commercial planning or prior approval applications you must appeal within 12 weeks from the date on the decision notice. For adverts within 8 weeks from the date on the decision notice.  For full planning application then you must do so within 6 months from the date of the decision notice.  The full list of application types, when an appeal can be made as well as timescales may be found on the Government’s website

The Secretary of State can allow a longer period for giving notice of an appeal but he will not normally be prepared to use this power unless there are special circumstances, which excuse the delay in giving notice of appeal.

The Secretary of State need not consider an appeal if it seems to him that the Local Planning Authority could not have granted planning permission for the proposed development or could not have granted it without the conditions it imposed, having regard to the statutory requirements, to the provisions of the development plan and to any directions given under the order. 

In practice, the Secretary of State does not refuse to consider appeals solely because the Local Planning Authority based its decision on a direction given by him.





Planning Application


Planning Applications -

Weekly / Monthly



Submitting an


What Happens

with my Application?

What is

Development Management?

Nature Conservation

Tree and Hedge Protection

Neighbourhood Plans