Temporary Event Notice


If you wish to hold an ad-hoc event within Boston Borough Council’s area, you must give a temporary event notice (TEN) to the council no later than ten working days before the event (unless submitting a “late” TEN). If the premises where the event is to be held is in areas governed by two or more local authorities applications must be made to each. Unless you submit an electronic application you must also give a copy of the notice to the police no later than ten working days (5 working days for a late TEN) before the event.  This notice period does not include the day of submission or the day of the event.

You must be 18 years or older to give a TEN and can give a maximum of five TEN’s per year. If you are a personal licence holder, you can give a maximum of 50 TENs per year. (2 Late TENs for a non personal licence holder and 10 Late TENs for a licence holder).

Your event must involve no more than 499 people at any one time and last no more than 96 hours with a minimum of 24 hours between events.

Eligibility criteria: An any licensable activity must be carried out as detailed in a notice that must be given. The notice must be in a specific format and must be made by someone over 18 years of age.

The notice should contain:

  • if alcohol is to be supplied, a statement confirming that it is a condition of using the premises that the supplies are made under the premises user’s authority
  • details of the licensable activities
  • the event period
  • the times when during that period the activities will take place
  • the maximum number of people proposed to be allowed on the premises
  • any other required matters


The fee for a Temporary Event Notice is £21.00 Cheques should be made payable to “Boston Borough Council”.

Regulation Summary: A summary of the regulation relating to a temporary event notice

Application evaluation process: The TEN must be given in writing (including by electronic means) to the local authority at least ten working days before the event (5 working days for a late TEN) . A fee is payable with the notice. Boston Borough Council will acknowledge receipt of the notice by giving a notice to the premises  before the end of the second working day after the TEN is received. Unless an application has been submitted electronically, the premises user must also give notice to the:

  • Chief Officer of Police c/o Licensing (alcohol) at Lincolnshire Police, Area Headquarters, PO Box 999, Lincoln, LN5 7PH; and
  • Environmental Health, Boston Borough Council, Municipal Buildings, West Street, Boston, PE21 8QR.

No later than 10 working days before the event (5 working days for a late TEN).

If the chief police officer  or Environmental health  believe that the event would undermine any of the licensing objectives they can serve an objection notice on the licensing authority and the premises user. This notice must be served within 2 working days of receipt of the temporary event notice. The local licensing authority must hold a hearing if an objection notice is served. They may issue a counter notice if it considers it necessary for the promotion of any of the licensing objectives.  A counter notice cancels the TEN and the event will not be able to go ahead. . A decision must be made at least 24 hours before the beginning of the event. The Licensing Authority may modify the TEN with the consent of the premises user. In such a case an objection notice will be deemed to have been withdrawn. Counter notices will be served by the licensing authority if the number of permitted TEN’s has been exceeded.

Will tacit consent apply? Yes. This means that you will be able to act as though your application is granted if you have not heard from the local authority by the end of the target completion period

Apply online: Apply for a temporary event notice using the link on the right.

Failed application redress: Please contact Boston Borough Council in the first instance. If a counter notice is given in relation to an objection notice the applicant may appeal against the decision. Appeals must be made to the local Magistrates’ court within 21 days. An appeal may not be brought later than five working days from the day of the planned event.

Licence holder redress: Please contact Boston Borough Council in the first instance.

Consumer complaint: We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made with the trader by you – preferably in the form a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked, if you are located in the UK, Adviceguide will give you advice. From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre.

Other redress: If a licensing authority decides not to issue a counter notice in relation to an objection notice the chief police officer or Environmental Health can appeal the decision. Appeals must be made to the local Magistrates’ court within 21 days. An appeal may not be brought later than five working days from the day of the planned event.

Trade associations:


For any licensing enquiries please contact us using the details on the right. A member of the licensing team will normally be available at the Municipal Buildings on weekdays 9am – noon and 2pm – 5pm (4.30pm on Fridays). We may be available at other times by prior appointment.

EUGO logo Displays a larger version of this image in a new browser window

Privacy Notice

We are required by law to protect your privacy and inform you how your information may be used. The Licensing team collect your personal information to process and manage your Licence Application or Notice

Some of your information may be made available on a publicly available register and provided on our website as required by relevant legislation.

The information provided by you may also be used for legitimate reasons by other departments of Boston Borough Council and other lawful agencies.

These reasons may include but are not limited to: prevention of crime, detection of fraud and public safety.

In some cases information relating to your applications may be requested under the Freedom of Information Act, this council will review these requests to consider if it is lawful to comply.

The Council takes your privacy seriously.  The Council is the Data Controller for the purposes of the General Data Protection Regulations 2018.

If you want to know more about the information we have about you, or the way we use your information please contact the Council